This tasty orange buttercream is considered an American buttercream and is delicious on vanilla, chocolate, carrot, or spiced cakes and cupcakes.
- 1/2 cup/4 ounces unsalted butter
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 3 to 4 tablespoons orange juice
- Optional: orange food coloring
Gather the ingredients.
In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, combine the butter, 3 cups of confectioners' sugar, and vanilla and orange extracts until well blended.
Add the orange zest and 3 tablespoons of fresh orange juice. Beat until smooth and creamy.
Add more confectioners' sugar or orange juice, as needed, for spreading or piping consistency. Beat in a few drops of orange food coloring, if desired.
Use to frost a cake or cupcakes. Refrigerate leftovers, covered, for up to one month.